For Whom The Sun Shines

June 19th 2011
Welcome to the viewing of my creation for the Gingersnap Creations Spicy Supply Challenge which requires the use of  "packaging materials" - now some of you may already think I am "strange" LOL this may make you think I am even stranger!!! BUT if you read the "reasoning" behind my concept you will understand what I am trying to achieve (even though it's a bit of an essay)!

What I have made is a little "gift box" to give to the person in your life who matches the sentiment above!! A real little "expensive" gold lined Tiffany's box!!!!! LOL!!


Now as this challenge required packaging materials I thought it was a great opportunity to use an iPod case which I have had in a cupboard in my office/craft room for several YEARS!!!! LOL I actually have another one!!! So I decided to use the plastic iPod packaging as a gift box - now as some of you know I have a weird sense of humour so I decided to make the "gift" box into an Egyptian Sarcophagus and as Chris at CS Designs recently released a Nefertari image how could I not use that and make the "mummy" to go in the sarcophagus???????


I have used several "packaging" products to make this creation: The iPod box has been "lined" with bubble wrap which I sponged with Gold Lumiere paint as a Queen needs a very "rich" looking resting place! And I've used string to tie the gift box shut and also to attach some material tags that I made.


As you can see the gift is "For Whom the Sun Shines"!! I found this "quote" through a web search to find something befitting "Nefertari" and I asked Chris if she would design the sentiment especially for me to use - she's done an amazing job as I just love this - it looks Egyptian and fits perfectly with my "theme"!! It is not possible to see in the photo but "behind" the sentiment on the tag is a washed out image of the pyramids. I've printed the sentiment and "Ankh" cross and transferred to fabric and hand sewn around the edges, punched a hole in the tops and added the string!



Now for my "mummy" - she has been made with the Nefertari CS Designs image on fabric and coloured with "Smooch" Ink and then hand sewn around three sides then "slipped" over the top of a large wooden clothespeg which I "wrapped" with tea stained muslin to look like an embalmed mummy!!! I painted her little feet with gold Lumiere paint. I also added some little clip art pictures of a "scarab" for good luck - very small and stuck onto the mummy's leg and also the Egyptian Staff on her chest. Plus she has some "jewels" in her sarcophagus to make sure she is wealthy emough to reach the afterlife!!


Chosen as a Ginger Gem for the GC106 Challenge - Packaging Supplies.

19 comments:

Willy said...

Love your mummy, she's great!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Awesome project- you are very creative!!! I love the case and the idea of painting/coloring on cloth with smoosh.

Michele Oliver said...

I think it is great. Very clever

Chris Stern / CS Designs said...

Sharon, OMG, I am so blown away by this. You did an incredible job with Nefertari. Your attention to detail even including some jewels in her sarcophagus for her afterlife is perfect. When you told me you were doing something special with her, I knew it would be wonderful but I never expected anything quite like this. This is not strange, this is Awesome!!!

Chris / CS Designs
http://www.cs-designs.blogspot.com/
http://www.doodlepieces.blogspot.com/

Netty said...

Terrific recycling Sharon and love your mummy, such fab detail. So pleased you joined us at Gingersnaps. Annette x

Michele said...

Sharon i am blown away. this is not only a very creative response to the challenge it is also really quite beautiful. the sewing and coloring are fabulous. and i love all things egpytian! have a great week. xo

Debi said...

Fun idea Sharon- love how you've upcycled all that packaging :-) DEbi x

Judy said...

Awesome creation, Sharon!

Janna Werner said...

LOL Sharon, you are rockin strange indeed :))) I LOVE this project, so creative! You are very special, never loose your creative view on things, truly art! TFS! Janna

Zoechaos said...

This is brilliant love it from beginning to end. XOXO Zoe

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh wow ... wierd ??? possibly but i prefer CREATIVE !! love this clever project Sharon its fabulous
Hugs June x

Marjie Kemper said...

Very clever! And yes, um... a bit "out there!"

Gerri Herbst said...

Magnificent! Love the Egyptian imagery. This really is a creative way to wrap and present a gift. Love the bubble wrap obsuring the colored gift! Can u tell I really love it yet? LOL. gerri

Vicki Romaine said...

Wow! So creative! I love what you did here. This is awesome!

judyjstamper said...

Very creative!!

Poppet said...

Great project Sharon, the face mask looks fab as does the gold bubblewrap.

I was going the the office bin at work today and one of the new boys asked if I had lost something, "No" I replied, "I thought I saw some acetate in here". I agree with you if you use your imagination you can create some really beautiful things with stuff other people would throw away. :-) xx

Mari said...

"For whom the sun shines"
Ha! I *love* it! :D
What a perfect sentiment to go with this fun mummy!

SmilynStef said...

I love the little story you created for your design ... so many wonderful details ... so glad you joined us for creating with packing materials at Gingersnap Creations.

penny4thoughts said...

You sure had fun with this one - very clever! Thanks for playing along with us at Gingersnap Creations :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...